Both kids are doing well and each is making progress every day. Hope was in clothes all week which means that she is regulating her body temp on her own and yesterday was moved from her "igloo" into an open air crib. She is getting about 40% of her feeding volume by nipple (bottle/breast) and the rest by her feeding tube. Once she is getting 100% of her feedings by nipple, she will be ready to come home. She has gained weight every day and is almost back up to her delivery weight. Jack is still hanging in his igloo, but was put in clothes on for the first time on Friday. He is regulating his body temperature on his own, which is quite impressive as he is just over 3 lbs. He will be ready to move to an open air crib after he spends a few days in clothes inside the igloo and continues to gain weight daily. Jack takes 28% of his feedings by nipple and the rest with his feeding tube, so he is catching up with his sister. The rules are the same for Jack - once he is in an open air crib, gaining weight regularly, and eating 100% of his feeding volume by nipple, he can come home. Kevin and I do not ask the doctors for a prediction of when each baby will be ready to come home and are just happy that baby steps are made each day toward that goal.
I am also doing well - off the pain meds from the c-section and better adjusted to my NICU visiting and milk pumping schedule. Kevin and the nurses are constantly praising me for the amount of breast milk I am able to bring in. That plus the daily weight gains by Jack and Hope really help when I am awake at 3 am. They have started adding something called "human milk fortifier" to the breast milk which increases the calorie content and adds a few additional vitamins and minerals. On another note, I drove our new mini-van this morning for the first time. Right now it feels a bit like a bus, but I know once I have two babies in the back, I will be happy to have the van with all its bells and whistles. It was strange to be back behind the wheel for the first time in over 3 months, but I am happy to add back another aspect of independence.
And now for the photos:
A couple shots of Hope content in her igloo in the cute outfits from the NICU. They have a stash of preemie clothes donated so it is always a treat to see what they are wearing on any given day.
Kate, I am so happy Jack and Hope are doing well! They are so cute, I love the photos. You sound great, I am so glad you are home and everyone is doing well. :) Erin
ReplyDeleteYes! Kate you are doing so well and we are so happy to hear that that Hope and Jack are climbing those steps towards home! Uncle Ben and Aunt Marianne cannot wait to see you all.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing the pictures and reading about how well they are doing! They are too cute for words! xoxoxoxo, Maureen
ReplyDelete