I can't believe it's been 3 years since I posted this and Hope and Jack arrived. It is funny to be pregnant now thinking back to that time as I've had such a different pregnancy this go around. At this point in my pregnancy, I was already checked into shangri-la (the hospital) and had been on bed rest for 9 weeks!!! That could explain why I am feeling so tired all the time (juggling work and home stuff while carrying around my big belly full of Baby Trey) and why I woke up with the worst leg cramp ever in my calf last night, crying until Kevin could massage it out enough so I could move my foot. But really, it could be so so worse and I must remember that as I waddle around work and grumble about bending over.
Anywho, back to the two momentous occasions from this week that have prompted another blog update so quickly.
First the birthday . . . we keep things very chill this year as I was blessed to be a bridesmaid in Gaby and Tao's wedding this past Saturday. Gaby was my partner in crime from my Penn lab who's made an appearance or two on this blog, most recently with a trip to the Please Touch Museum with Jack. So on our way up to pick up Hope and Jack from their grandparents, Kevin and I picked up a cake from a new to us bakery in Ardmore in order to have a mini-celebration.
You'll notice from the next 3 photo's that we had already eaten a quarter of the cake by the time we could get Jack to come in the kitchen. Once we got his to cooperate, he impressed us with this candle blowing out skills.
While up at his parents' house, Kevin did a little cleaning out of his childhood momentos and brought Hope up dressed in one of his old karate outfits. She makes a great orange belt, if you ask me!
The second momentous occasion of the week was Hope's first day at Easter Seals, her new school and riding the big yellow school bus to and from! If you've spoken to me at all in the past few months, you will know that I've been dreading having to put Hope on a bus and send her away from all of us. But I am happy to say, we have two days under our belts and thus far, all (especially Hope) are doing fine.
Here she is waiting with her dad for the first bus to arrive. At this point, I don't think she had any idea of what was to come . . .
Luckily we were able to arrange for Hope to have a nurse to ride with
her both ways on the bus. Kevin and I hope that the nurse is just there
to keep her company and at ease as she adjusts to this unfamiliar
routine, but given the risk of seizures with her AS, we also felt that
it was a necessity and are so happy that we could get the county to
agree with us!
I didn't snap an image of Hope as she was getting strapped into her seat on the bus for the first time. I may never get that one out of my head, but no one else needs to remember that sad face. We did hear that it only took her about 10 minutes to settle down and enjoyed looking out the window for the rest of the ride. By the time she got to school, she was pretty attached to her bus companion/nurse, so I think that is a good sign.
I've talked to the teacher both days after school and have gotten good reports of Hope settling in and seeming to take to some of the different adults in her classroom. There are therapists, a teacher, and two aides so there are lots of people for her to meet and get used to, not to mention the other kids to become friends with!
So our baby girl is now a school girl! We are excited to meet the new therapists and hear their thoughts. Jack is totally confused - wondering why Hope gets to go to school on the bus and he doesn't, and wondering where all his friends - Peggy, Kimmy, Dee Dee, and Jessica (Hope's old therapists) have gone. I am trying to maintain a higher than normal amount of understanding/compassion for my strong willed, temper tantrum throwing little man, as I know that this is too a transition for him and that it is going to take time for him to adjust to the new routine.
Who knows what's going happen when we bring home a baby sister or brother???!!!







No comments:
Post a Comment