Friday, February 12, 2010

Good news from the ultrasound!

Today I had my first ultrasound since bed rest has begun. The babies are looking good - Baby A weighs 1 lb 8 oz and Baby B weighs 1 lb 4 oz currently. The technician pointed out where each baby was hanging out so hopefully I will be able to differentiate between the punches/kicks I've been feeling and tell who's who in there. The best part was when the doctor came in to measure my cervix and he was very happy with its overall length. There was no sign of shortening or opening at all! He looked back at the pictures from my ultrasound two weeks ago and decided that I must have had a contraction while they were measuring the cervical length which led to the shortening they'd detected. Since I was having contractions quite frequently on that day due to the fact I was dehydrated, it is no surprise. That being said, based on today's results, the doctor felt that my restricted bed rest could be a lot less restrictive and that I can go up and down the stairs a few times a day! He didn't think going back to work was a good idea because of how much time I spend on my feet in my lab, but overall he was very encouraged and did not think I was at a high risk of going into labor anytime soon. :-)

We are both very happy with today's news and the fact that I will be able to be a little more independent at home. We celebrated by going out to breakfast after the appointment (suggested by the doctor!). Basically we will return in two weeks for another ultrasound and see if there is any change with my increased activity and go from there. I still need to take it easy and keep off my feet as much as I can to keep the weight of my growing babies off my cervix and prevent too many contractions.

In other news, we did get hit with another whopping snow storm on Wednesday. The snow drifts around our house are ridiculous and I am really happy to not be making the trek down the hill each morning to my train stop. Kevin had two snow days this week and is off today and Monday for President's weekend so he is getting a surprise winter vacation. Granted I am not sure he would describe being home as vacation with the added duties of taking care of me, our house, the cats, and doing all this shoveling, but I am certainly happy having him around more.

Thanks to all of you for your positive thoughts and prayers. They definitely helped!!!

BR day 15
24wks

No comments:

Post a Comment