Hey all,
I was taken on Thursday for an ultrasound finally. They made me go by stretcher which made me feel like quite the invalid and transport left me parked in the hallway of the perinatal testing center. I didn't enjoy watching all the "healthy" pregnant women walk by for their outpatient visits while I had to lay there on display. Luckily the timing worked perfectly with Kevin's planned visit so he was able to join me for the ultrasound. They did measurements to determine the growth profiles of both babies in the last month. Baby A is measuring almost 4 pounds (3 lbs 14 oz) whereas Baby B is still under 3 pounds (2 lbs 12oz, I think). The difference in weight and rate of growth is concerning and the doctors are now closely monitoring Baby B and the blood flow from its placenta. This is common with multiple pregnancies where one baby doesn't grow as well as the other due to difference with their placentas. It could be because of the initial placement of each placenta and sac or because one baby is infringing on the other's space. Based on the description of where each baby is laying, it seems like Baby A is spread out comfortable occupying most of my belly and Baby B is squished over on my right side. Perhaps that is why I often feel his/her bum pushing out underneath my ribs as if trying to carve out more territory!
So, what all this means is that they have taken me off the medication to stop the contractions and have told me that if I do go into labor, they will not stop it. Sometimes if one baby is not getting enough nutrients, hormonal signals are sent to trigger labor. Thus, it may be better to deliver Baby B so that he/she can get adequate nutrients to continue growing and Baby A will just have to come along for the ride. We have gotten different predictions from the doctors, but the consensus is that the twins will be here in the next 1-2 weeks!
Kevin and I took a tour of the NICU last night as our babies (if born between 32-34 weeks) will indeed have to move in there for a visit. I am really happy we went down as it doesn't seem as scary of a place now that we've checked it out and met some of the people. The nurse practitioner pointed out one baby that she thought would be similar to what a 32 week baby would be size-wise and he wasn't as small as I've been imaging (hard to picture that there are TWO of them in my belly!). We won't know until they are here how long they might have to stay or what kinds of support they will need. Luckily, some of the scariest stuff (brain bleeds, eye problems) usually occur when babies are born before 32 weeks and more than likely we will be facing issues with temperature regulation, breathing, and feeding.
So my plan of going home at 34 weeks and delivering closer to full term is not going to happen. Kevin and I are excited about the fact that the end is in sight and that we will soon get to meet Baby A and Baby B. I am worried about the c-section, the recovery from it and of course about the NICU experience, but I am trying to not focus on any of that too much. It will be nice to be able to go home and get a little more organized before we bring these babies home. Kevin has done a great job getting the house ready, but as you all know me, I am itching to get my hands involved in setting things up.
So stay tuned . . . and we will keep you posted on any updates and the big arrival whenever that will be. Eeee!
XOXO
BR day 72
32wks 1day
13 days until 34 weeks
Here's wishing Baby B lots of nutrients; you know, sometimes the difference in sizes is just a natural difference in sizes, too. Not to offer false reassurance, but Ursula just turned out to be smaller than Alex; always was when they were inside, and now a couple of inches and several pounds lighter at age 2.5 as well. Just a smaller, perfectly healthy kid.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you, and wishing you the best. Exciting to think you will meet them sooner rather than later!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Kate! I will second the wishes for lots of nutrients for Baby B and a safe and healthy delivery for both. You are so close! What a journey this has been. Lots of love to all four of you :) (and the kitties too of course)
ReplyDeleteErin :)